Listed in Library
- Abeokuta, Nigeria
- 08036650008, 08058100950, 08058001009
The idea to establish the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library (OOPL) was conceived in 1988 and remained just an idea until 10 years later when the man in whose honour the project is meant to immortalize was released from incarceration for a crime that never was.
OOPL contains documents and other archival materials that could avail to researchers important resources that would enable them arrive at more accurate and objective analysis, demonstrate and deepen democracy, add value to democracy, as transparency and accountability would be enhanced and policies better understood. It will clear up the myth and misconceptions of the office of the president and perhaps broker a much more pragmatic understanding of the events and the person. For children in schools, the benefits and the value of understanding the travails of a leader cannot be under estimated.
Our Mission is to foster understanding of the life, career and Presidential administration of Olusegun Obasanjo and through this exposition, promote the ideals of democracy, good governance and leadership; facilitate critical reflection on best practices in public service; and provide a clearer comprehension of developments in Nigeria, Africa, the Commonwealth and the rest of the world.
The Objectives of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library are to:
- acquire and preserve resources relating to the life, career and Presidency of Olusegun Obasanjo;
- make available for public study and research, such resources as documents, artefacts, personal items and memorabilia of President Olusegun Obasanjo through research, exhibitions, public programmes, online services, documentary media, publications, and outreach;
- promote civic education through the study of the ideals of President Olusegun Obasanjo;
- serve as a resource for inspiring African unity, democracy and good governance;
- advance the standing of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library as a centre for intellectual activity and community leadership designed to meet the challenges of a changing world;
- sponsor programmes and activities which will promote exemplary conduct in public service and good democratic governance;
- attract global tourism and positively contribute towards Nigeria’s international image;
- provide a base for theoretical, qualitative and quantitative analyses to unravel the causal relationships and interdependencies that link or activate security threats in the cultural context of Africa and that can form the basis for recommendations for action;
In pursuit of these objectives, the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library runs the following programmes and services, among others:
- Exhibition and Guided tours on the collections of President Olusegun ObasanjoLeadership workshops in collaboration with the Bells University of Technology and the African Leadership Forum
- Under the aegis of the Centre for Human Security, run programmes of study, research and action that seek to understand various threats that continue to undermine the survival chances, the livelihood and the dignity of people everywhere
- In collaboration with the Centre for Black Culture and International Understanding organise programmes on African arts and culture
- Study programmes on Civic Education
- Study programmes on Agriculture
- Special Days (Quarterly) e.g. The life of Chief Olusegun Obasanjo; The Obasanjo Presidency Symposia
- Biennial conference on “Promoting Human Security”
Source: Library Website (2529)
May 20, 2015
Its a good idea.....I like the uniqueness in the idea...
Please login to add your review.