AfricanLoft is organising a cyber Essay Contest to celebrate and mark her official launch as a platform for Africans and Afrophiles worldwide. To contest, pick and discuss any or all of the following:
- My Greatest Life Challenge
– An essay on your greatest life challenge or challenges
- My Best Adventure Story
– Present your best adventure story ever
- I’m Going to Rant!
– Just rant about an issue that bugs the living daylights out of you.
- You may pick one, any, or all and discuss.
- Please Limit entry to 600-1200 words.
- Pictures and any support media are allowed.
- Tag all submissions with this tag: “Essay07″.
- Bloggers: Please insert your blog URL as well.
Deadline: submission now extended to August 10, 2007.
1st – $100 gift card or cash equivalent
2nd – $50 gift card or cash equivalent
For entry information visit AfricanLoft’s website
July 20, 2007 | Editor
Entry for the 8th edition of the yearly NSE National Essay Competiton orgnised by Nigerian Stock Exchange in on. The topicc for this years essay is:
How Can I Monitor My Investment On The Nigerian Stock Exchange.
Your essay must be hand-written, in not more that 2-page foolscap sheet. Organisers says marks will be awarded for clarity of work and orderly presentation of relevant facts.
Deadline: Tuesday, July 31st, 2007
For details (inclucing addresses where entries should be returned to, pick a entry forms in any branch of First Bank of Nigeria PLC and Access Bank PLC Nationwide OR download one from NSE’s website (Adobe Arobat Reader required).
July 11, 2007 | Editor
National Association of Philosophy Students-Nigeria (NAPS) in conjunction with the
Secular Student Alliance (SSA) – USA presents the
1st National Philosophical Essay Competition with the theme,
Philosophy and Rationalism:
Solutions to Africa’s
The Essay Competition is open to students and non students alike, irrespective of nationalities and cultural affiliations. All Essays should be accompanied by an abstract (350 words maximum) which would solely be assessed to pre-select essay. The Essay should not exceed 3500 words excluding abstract.
The Essay should be submitted electronically to Essay2007@napsnigeria.org
Deadline: August 31st 2007.
Criteria: Winners will be selected based on originality of ideas, clarity, persuasiveness of writing, accessibility of content to a general audience, and the quality of logic behind supporting arguments and counter-arguments.
Prizes and Awards
- 1st Prize: A collection of philosophical books autographed by reputable scholars, a certificate and magazines and some collectibles.
- 2nd and 3rd Prize: Some autographed philosophical books and a certificate with magazines.
- First 20 Entrants shall be given a free DVD containing about 5000 ebooks.
For details: visit www.napsnigeria.org or www.secularstudent.org .
July 5, 2007 | Editor
The 3rd edition of the Nigerian Film Corporation (NFC) Annual Film Essay Competition has commenced with the topic: The Nigerian Movie: Global Socio-Cultural Impact. The competition is open to all Nigerians 18 years of age and above. Interested individuals can begin to forward their entries via
- email to the NFC’s official e-mail address: md_nfc@hotmail or
- mail/courier to the Headquarters of the Corporation: Nigerian Film Corporation, No. 218T Liberty Dam Road, P. O. Box 693, Jos, Plateau State.
All essays which must be typewritten and should be between 6 – 8 pages (A4 size paper).
Entry closes: August 11, 2007.
Result will be announced later in the year and prizes presented during the 2008 edition of the ZUMA Film Festival to be held March next year.
Miss Abiola C. Lagungu, a student of Babcock University, Ogun State emerged one of the winners of the last edition (2006/2007) with the topic: Motion Picture and the Nigerian Image. She along with the two other winners will be presented with prizes during this year’s edition of the NFC/RIM Annual Training Workshop, branded SHOOT! to be held at the National Film Institute, Jos the Plateau State capital from July 23rd – 26th 2007.
June 24, 2007 | Editor
First Bank of Nigeria Plc, a leading financial services supermarket in Nigeria as part of her Corporate Social Responsibility has over the years been promoting academic excellence by organizing annual essay and quiz competitions. Her objective is to stimulate intellectual discourse among students and prepare them for the challenges of leadership in the future. This year competition has been announce on the banks website.
The essay competition is open to all undergraduates of Nigerian universities and polytechnics
Entry: May 15 and June 25, 2007.
Topic: Harnessing the Potential of Nigerian Banks for Meeting the Millennium Development Goals.
The quiz competition is open to secondary schools nationwide.
Entry: May 21 to June 18, 2007.
For details visit the bank’s website.
May 23, 2007 | Editor
Nigerian Cabotage Promotions is organizing an online essay competition open to Nigerian Secondary school students or youths of Nigerian descent under the age of 23 years based in Nigeria or in Diasporas to mark the unofficial Nigerian Cabotage Day celebrations.
Topic chosen: The Nigerian Cabotage Act of 2003: A legacy for now and the future….Discuss what you can see in the Nigerian maritime related horizons.
Reason for Topic: To create awareness amongst the next generation of Nigerians as it relates to the maritime sector and to possibly kindle in them a desire to move Nigeria in the direction of a truly Cabotage nation while offering a token monetary incentive for the interest shown.
- 1st prize: $500.00
- 2nd prize $300.00
- 3rd prize: $200.00
Panel of Judges considered:
- Mrs. Mfon Ekong Usoro, The Director General of NAMASA (ACCEPTED JUDGE)
- Olisa Agbakoba, SAN and current NBA President aka Mr. Cabotage (PENDING JUDGE)
- Mrs. Ify Akerele, The Director General of Nigerian Chamber of Shipping (PENDING JUDGE)
- Emeka Akabogu, Barrister and Solicitor, Principal Partner of ARS (ACCEPTED JUDGE)
- Mr. Eddie Skinn, Executive Director, External Affairs Addax Petroleum Development ( Nigeria ) Limited (PENDING JUDGE)
Submission Deadline: April, 23rd, 2007
Submit essays to: email@example.com
Prize to be awarded by April 30th, 2007 in celebration of Nigeria ’s unofficial Nigerian Cabotage Day.
March 22, 2007 | Editor