N-Power is part of Federal Government of Nigeria’s Social Investment Programmes designed to help young Nigerians develop and acquire life long skills to become Solution providers in their communities and become players in the domestic and global markets. The focus is to provide our young graduates and non-graduates with the skills, tools and livelihood to enable them advance from unemployment to employment, entrepreneurship and innovation. The first phase of N-Power targets Nigeria’s critical need in education, agriculture, technology, creative, construction and artisan industries. N-Power is segmented as follows:
N-Power Teachers Corps (N-Power Teach)
A paid volunteer programme that train and engage 500,000 young unemployed graduates for a 2-year duration. Besides their monthly take home pay estimated at about N23,000, the selected 500,000 graduates will also get computer devices that will contain information necessary for their specific engagement, as well as information for their continuous training and development. They get to keep the devices even after exiting from the programme.
Participants will provide teaching, instructional, and advisory solutions in 4 key areas.
- N-Power Agro: function as intermediaries between research and farmers. They will operate as facilitators and communicators, helping farmers in their decision-making and ensuring that appropriate knowledge is implemented to obtain the best results on farms.
- N-Power Health: work as public health assistants teaching preventive health to community members including pregnant women, children, families and individuals and providing basic diagnostic services.
- N-Power Teach: deployed as teaching assistants in primary and secondary schools across Nigeria. They will not replace the current teachers, but will work as support teachers, assisting with teaching, school management and other functions within the schools. They will also assist in taking basic education to children in marginalised communities.
- N-Power Community Education: instruct on:
- Civic Education: focus on the core values that are vital to nation building such as promoting patriotism, integrity, productivity, ethics, and efficiency.
- Adult Education: enables young as well as mature adults (above 18 years) to improve or supplement their knowledge and skills within general subjects. From literacy to numeracy, to other skills, this programme will also enhance adults’ ability to improve their future job and educational possibilities.
Train 25,000 young Nigerians in any of the following aspects
- Creative: a 3 months programme (1-month in-class and a 2-month hands-on group project) designed to train 5000 youths in Animation, Graphic Design, Post-Production, Script-Writing Training.
- Technology Software: An 11 weeks programme to train, tool and position 10,000 hands-on software developers for the local and international software development market. Participants will undergo a project based model to training wherein they will be exposed to foundational software development tools as well as resources to thrive as a modern day software developer entrepreneur.
- Technology Hardware: A 3 months programme to train and facilitate tooling for at least 10,000 technicians in hardware repair, maintain and assemble mobile phones, tablets, computers and other devices to boost the device servicing and manufacturing industry. 1 month of assessment , graduation and setup.
An accelerated (3 months) training and certification programme that will engage and train 75,000 young unemployed Nigerians in order to build a new crop of skilled and highly competent workforce of technicians, artisans and service professionals in building services, construction, utilities, hospitality and catering, automotive vocations, aluminium and gas services.
Who can Apply?
Nigerian citizens between the ages of 18 and 35 who meets the minimum requirements (if any) for your respective programme.
- on your expression of a genuine interest in whichever area you decide;
- passing the relevant tests;
- your willingness to push yourself beyond your comfort zone; and
- ability to show a flair to develop all the skills you need to be the best you can be.
While there are fixed requirements along the way, we will be relying on you to take ownership of the process and take the lead in shaping your route, by making the most of the training that you will receive.
Application and Details:
Visit the N-Power website
June 9, 2016 | Editor
An enterprenuer programme by Huawei Technologies Co. Nig. Let in collaboration with Federal Government of Nigeria (as part of FG Youth and Student Development and Job Creation Programme) for young undergraduates to position them for a career in the ICT departments of E-government, Telecommunication Companies & Subcontractors, Information Technology, Engineering, Oil &Gas, Banking, Manufacturing, Power Companies & Subcontractors or Self-Employment in Power Solutions & Repairs.
- ICT Fundamentals
- HCDA(HCNA) Fundamentals
- TeleComs Power System Training
- BTS and Microwave Installation Training.
Universities/Polytechnics Graduates of Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, ICT, Civil & Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics and other ICT related courses between 18 – 30 years.
Huawei Training Centers in Abuja & Lagos.
The training is FREE (excluding living and transport expenses).
Application and other Details
ICT for Change Website: http://www.ictforchange.gov.ng/
June 7, 2016 | Editor
The Yale Young Global Scholars Program (YYGS) is offering six financial need-based scholarships for high school students from the African continent to attend YYGS this summer at Yale University in New Haven, Connecticut, USA. The program is a rigorous academic experience, featuring lectures from renowned Yale faculty.
Participants in the Yale Young Global Scholars Program for Outstanding High School Students can expect an amazing summer experience studying in beautiful campus lecture halls and classrooms, living in Yale’s historic residential colleges, eating in award-winning dining halls, meeting a talented community of fellow students, engaging with world-renowned professors, and interacting with extraordinary visiting practitioners.
The scholarship will cover tuition, airfare and travel expenses to the program.
The Yale Young Global Scholars Program is open to students who have one or two years of secondary school remaining, and offers six unique two-week sessions.
- Be a citizen of an African country and currently reside in that country;
- Have attended school in that country for most of the applicant’s education;
- Complete the Yale Young Global Scholars online application, including the financial aid portion
The application deadline is February 11, 2016.
Download the 2016 prospectus
Before you apply: View the 2016 sample application
January 19, 2016 | Editor
AICTT Camp 2015 is an annual advanced ICT for Development training program organised by Ace Communications Executive Ltd; a communications management, training and PR consultancy firm focused on meeting the growing communications demands for business and public institutions across the West African sub-region.
The training camp is the first of its kind and is designed for young male and female ICT professionals from West Africa between the ages of 23 to 35. AICTT Camp is targeting participants with low-medium ICT sector knowledge and experience, employed by governmental institutions, NGOs or civil organizations, private sector businesses, being self-employed or working as an entrepreneur. The program strives to link young ICT professionals across the West African region in a global knowledge-sharing platform to enhance regional integration.
100 young ICT professionals from West Africa will have an opportunity to advance their theoretical and practical knowledge in ICT during an Advanced ICT Training (AICTT) Camp, hosted in The Gambia.
The intensive camp training program will consist of three subject areas including:
- Geographic Information Service (GIS) & Data Management
- Cyber-Security and Advanced Intrusion Protection
- Application Development & E-commerce
Throughout the program, participants will not only gain the advancement they have been seeking in the fields, but will also have the opportunity to foster relationships through a series of networking events.
Date: 1st to 24th April 2015
Apply for scholarship:
Registration Form: Deadline (20th March, 2015)
March 16, 2015 | Editor
AICTT Camp Website: http://aictt-wa.com/
Fifteen-year-old Olubunmi Agusto of Day Waterman College, Abeokuta clinched the second position for Microsoft Word 2007 along with the sum of $2,500 in scholarships at the 2014 Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) World Championship for students held at Anaheim, USA. She is the first African to emerge among the top three since the first edition of the competition, 13 years ago.
The global competition organised by Certiport, a Pearson VUE business, is designed to test the proficiency of students in the use of Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel and open to students in both secondary schools and tertiary institutions, aged between 13 and 22 year. This year, attracted more than 400,000 unique candidates from 130 countries with 123 student finalists participating in the final round of competition.
The finalists in Microsoft Word took a timed exam in which they had to recreate a an image of a Word document containing picture, text boxes, tables and other features by following instructions on specifications, such as the same margins and horizontal and vertical height of each object. They were scored on accuracy and speed.
To emerged as Nigeria representatives at the world stage, Olubunmi Agusto joined by Ntekim Toluwani and Adonijah Airede emerged best at the 2014 Certiport Microsoft Office Specialist National Championship organized by ReadManna to get the best students in Microsoft Office Specialist who will contest in the World Championship.
Olubunmi Agusto from Day Waterman College, Abeokuta, Ogun state scored 967 in 15 minutes 88 seconds in Word 2007. Closely allied was Ntekim Toluwani from Thomas Adewunmi International College, Oko, Kwara state who scored 936 in PowerPoint 2010 in 25 minutes 28 seconds. Just as Adonijah Oshioselaga Airede from Regent School Abuja scored 931 in Word 2010 in 22 minutes 38 seconds.
The competition is an annual event.
September 11, 2014 | Editor
The PRESSID Implementation Committee invites qualified candidates to apply for the third edition (2015/2016 academic session) of the Presidential Special Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development (PRESSID). The Scheme, which sponsors graduates that have obtained First Class Honours degrees from any recognized and approved university, for postgraduate studies in the top 25 universities in the world was established in January 2012 and has awarded a total of two hundred and five (205) scholarships under two editions (the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 academic sessions).
It is part of efforts to the the Federal Government of Nigeria to achieve the goals of Vision 20:2020 and the Transformation Agenda, by developing a critical mass of professionals who would serve as catalysts of change and agents of scientific and technological advancement, as well as sustainable economic development.
Ogun state topped the list of beneficiaries of the 2014/2015 Presidential Special Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development (PRESSID) awards claiming 17 out of the 104 slots.
Eligibility Criteria for the Scheme
Interested candidates should:
- Be graduates from the 2011/2012 and 2012/2013 academic sessions, who would have completed their National Youth Service by October 2014;
- Have obtained First Class Honours degree from any recognised and approved University in the following disciplines and aim at postgraduate degrees in the specified and allied programmes:
- Sciences: Nuclear Physics, Operations Research, Industrial Chemistry, Quantitative Genetics, Biometrics, Molecular Biology, etc;
- Medicine*: Clinical Sciences, Dentistry, Oncology, Human Genetics, Forensic Medicine, Physiotherapy, Hepatology, Nuclear Medicine, Geriatrics, ophthalmology, etc.;
- Veterinary medicine*: Veterinary Parasitology, Theriogenology, Public Health, etc;
- Basic Medical Sciences: Biochemistry, Physiology, Dentistry, Anatomy, Medical Biochemistry, Human Nutrition, Nursing Science, Anatomic and Molecular Pathology, Biomedical Engineering, Medical Microbiology, Physiotherapy, Pharmacology, etc;
- Pharmaceutical Sciences*: Drug formulations, Natural products, Drug design, Phytochemistry, Ethnopharmacology, Pharmaceutical Microbiology, etc;
- Accounting/Actuarial Science: Financial Accounting, Management Accounting, Forensic Accounting, Petroleum Accounting, Cost & Management Accounting, Environmental Accounting, etc;
- Economics: Econometrics, Development Economics, Micro Economics, Macro Economics, Applied Economics, Labour Economics, etc;
- Engineering: Aeronautical Engineering, Mechatronics, Control Systems, Material Science and Production Engineering, Nanotechnology, Process Engineering, Energy Systems Engineering, Refinery Design and Operations, Subsea Engineering, Thermal Power (Gas Turbine Option), Reservoir Analysis, Drilling Optimization, Chemical Process Dynamics & Control, Process Modelling and Simulations, etc;
- Computing and Information Technology: Intelligent Robotic Systems, Computer Systems and Software Engineering, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology, Artificial Intelligence, Cyber-Security, etc./li>
*In the case of Medicine, Veterinary Medicine and Pharmaceutical Sciences, candidates must have a minimum of 2 Distinctions in their Part 3 and Part 4 MBBS examinations or in their final results. In all cases, candidates must:
- not be above 30 years of age by October 2014;
- be computer literate; and
- be ready to be bonded and to work, preferably, as academic staff in any public university or research institute for a minimum period of five (5) years.
Applicants are expected to apply for and seek admission from any of the approved top 28 universities in the world. You are advised to cross check with the courses offered by your preferred institution before completing your application.
Please note that universities in the United States of America require candidates to sit for the Graduate Record Exams (GRE) before they can secure admission.
For further enquiries, please contact the Committee through firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline: Application closes on 18th October 2014.
Only shortlisted candidate will be invited for further screening.
Visit the PRESSID Application Portal . Ensure you carefully read the application warning and application instruction on the portal before proceeding.
August 24, 2014 | Editor
Ogun state topped the list of beneficiaries of the 2014/2015 Presidential Special Scholarship Scheme for Innovation and Development (PRESSID) awards claiming 17 out of the 104 slots. PRESSID was introduced by President Goodluck Jonathan last year as part of initiatives to encourage the first-class graduates to study in the top 25 universities in the world up to masters and Ph.D levels. The 2014/2015 awardees who were between the ages of 22-25 were 28 females and 76 males and was an improvement of last year when the awardees were 20 females and 81 males.
During the presentation of certificates, the supervising minister of education, Barr Nyesom Wike, said
this is the first time in Nigeria, we have a programme whose selection process is purely on merit.
He said that through the presidential scholarship initiative, the Federal Government planned to develop a critical mass of professionals who would serve as catalysts of change agents of scientific and technological advancement, as well as sustainable economic development.
At the event, the executive secretary of NUC (National University Commission), Prof Julius Okojie revealed that out of 2,000 entries received, but only 623 candidates were shortlisted to sit for the the Computer-Based aptitude test on December 10, 2013. Successful candidates of the scheme were asked to apply to study in any of the top 25 universities in the world approved for the scheme and 104 candidates scaled the final hurdle in a highly competitive process which was done purely on merit.
The search for qualified students was based on candidates that obtained first class honours degree from any recognised and approved university nationwide and the scheme offers the 104 beneficiaries scholarship up to PhD level. The candidates had applied for selected programmes in Engineering, Technology, Sciences, Basic Medical Sciences, Medicine and Economics among other fields, where the country might be experiencing shortfalls.
June 11, 2014 | Editor
The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria has put in place a strategy which will make accountancy profession more attractive to the brightest youths from any academic discipline by introducing a scholarship scheme for outstanding students of Institutions whose Accounting/Accountancy programmes are accredited by ICAN.
The scholarship shall cover examination fees and provision of study packs and shall subsist as long as the student does not completely fail any level of the examination.
Categories of Scholarship:
- Diamond: The Diamond Scholarship is for first class/distinction graduates of ICAN-Accredited Institutions, irrespective of the discipline or course of study to write the Professional Examinations of the Institute.
- Gold: The Gold scholarship is for the Best Graduating Student of an ICAN accredited Accounting/Accountancy programme for professional examination level.
- Silver: The Silver Scholarship is for the BEST STUDENT in year one of any ICAN-accredited Accounting/Accountancy programme in tertiary institutions to write the Accounting Technicians Scheme for West Africa (ATSWA) Examination.
For further information, please contact :
Olusoji O. Odukoya, MBA, FCA
Ag. Registrar/Chief Executive
PC 16 Idowu Taylor Street, Victoria Island, Lagos
E-mail: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Nairacareer website
April 2, 2014 | Editor
The Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta has commenced the training programme in its World Bank Africa Centre of Excellence in Agriculture and Sustainable Environment. The centre will run specialized international postgraduate courses designated as Master (M.AgSE) and Doctorate (Phd AgSE) degrees in Agricultural Development and Sustainable Environment. The courses are M.AgSE and PhD AgSE in:
- Crop Improvement and Seed Enterprise Development
- Livestock Science and Climate Change
- Food Processing and Value Addition
- Hydrology and Climate Change
- Mechanised Agriculture and Climate Change
Limited and Very competitive scholarships are available to candidates from the following countries in West Africa:
- Sierra Leone
The Selection for schloarships is equal opportunity basis with emphasis on gender balance. Thus, women are encouraged to apply
April 2, 2014 | Editor
- Candidates of all nationalities within and outside africa possessing qualifications equivalent to recognized first degrees in relevant disclines are eligible to apply.
- Candidates with degrees equivalent to second Class Lower Division are eligible to apply for the programmes but only candidates with grade point averages equivanlent to Second Class Upper Division and above shall be eligible to apply for scholarship
- For Hydrology Programmes, eligible candidates are required to possess Bachelor’s degrees or equivalent in physical, mathematical, hydrological and environmental sciences.
- For Hydrology Programmes, eligible candidates are required to possess Bachelor’s degrees or equivalent in physical, mathematical, hydrological and environmental sciences.
- For Mechanized Agriculture Programme, eligible candidates for the M. AgSE programme are required to possess Bachelors degree or equivalent in either Agricultural, Food, Chemical, Mechanical or Civil Engineering.
- Graduates with first degrees in biological and social sciences are eligible to apply for the M. AgSE programme in any of the agriculture-based options. Since the programme is agriculture-based, applicants from academic backgrounds other than agriculture shall be required to audit relevant pre-requisite courses (that will be determined by the course faculty) in basic agriculture under the B. Agric Programme of FUNAAB.
- Applicants with degrees from Environmental fields are eligible to apply for any of the options, provided the relevant proficiency to perform in the option can be demonstrated e.g. the need for adequate mathematical backgrounds for Mechanisation and Hydrology progammes. The PhD AgSE programme is open to Master degree holders in the relevant field for the different options in the programme.
Application Site: http://pg.unaab.edu.ng
The National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) in pursuance of her mandate of producing globally competitive manpower in order to bridge the digital divide and transform Nigeria into an Information Technology capable country, has established a scholarship scheme for Post Graduate (PG) studies in Master’s and Doctorate (PhD) degrees in relevant areas of Information Technology (IT) obtainable in National and international Universities.
The scholarships will be strictly based on merit and cover the six Geo-political Zones of the country. The Agency will collaborate with the various institutions of higher learning within and outside the country to ensure that the scheme is successfully executed.
Masters Degree Candidate for the award of Masters Degree Scholarship must have 1st class or 2nd class upper Division in relevant Information Technology field of study.
PhD Candidates for the award of PhD degree scholarship must have Masters Degree in relevant Information Technology field of study.
Registration page | Enquiry | Contact
March 15, 2014 | Editor
The Regenesys Foundation is pleased to introduce the Microsoft 4Afrika Scholarship Programme. This initiative is designed to groom future leaders by providing access to quality, online tertiary business education, from higher certificate to diploma. The programme will see 1,000 scholarships being made available to deserving candidates through Regenesys Business School, a global leader in management and leadership development. This great new initiative will help you to empower yourself and change your life.
The initiative expands on Microsoft’s 4Afrika programme, which aims to drive economic growth in Africa by investing in training initiatives, and seeks to assist youth who cannot afford tertiary education. Preference will be given to people Nigerians along with 10 other African countries.
Microsoft’s goal with the 4Afrika Scholarship program is to level the playing field for talented young African minds who might not otherwise have the resources, enabling them to get the education and skills they need to thrive in technology-related fields. The 4Afrika Initiative was designed to help ensure that Africa can become globally competitive, and investing in our highly motivated youth is a critical step toward making that a reality.
- between the ages of 18 – 34
- living and studying/working in Africa
- in need of financial support
- academically talented
- able to access the Internet
- able to meet the minimum qualification entry requirements
- passionate about developing Africa
- proficient and able to study in English
- Completed application form (download here)
- Resume/CV (maximum three pages)
- Certified copy of Identity Document/Passport
- Certified copy of Highest Qualifications
- Certified copy of statement of results
- One page motivation letter
Visit: Regenesys Bursary Application Portal
February 1, 2014 | Editor
Star Deep Water Petroleum Limited, a Chevron company and operator of the Agbami Field, in its continuous support for capacity building in the Health and Engineering sectors as a strategic feed into the national manpower pool, is offering a number of University Scholarships to qualified Nigerian students from ALL states of the Federation.
The scholarship program, funded by Star Deep and its Agbami partners, is a major component of the Agbami partners’ Social Investment in the strategic development of Health and Education in Nigeria and the Niger Delta in particular.
Applications are invited from FULL-TIME, 100 and 200 level undergraduates from any state of the Federation, studying any of the under listed courses in universities within Nigeria:
QUALIFICATION PROCESS: Interested applicants should visit http://scholastica.ng/schemes/agbami#tab3.
Deadline: Application closes Midnight 28th February, 2014
This application is for only Fresh Applicants, current beneficiaries from previous Agbami Schemes should kindly click www.scholastica.ng
January 31, 2014 | Editor
Chevron Nigeria Limited, in collaboration with its Joint Venture partner, the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), is offering a number of University Scholarship Awards to suitably qualified Nigerian students.
E-applications are invited from full-time SECOND YEAR (200 LEVEL) degree students of the under-listed courses, in Nigerian Universities:
- Agricultural Engineering/Agricultural Science
- Business Administration/Economics
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Environmental Studies/Surveying
- Mass Communication/Journalism
- Mechanical/Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Human Medicine/Dentistry/Pharmacy
- Petroleum Engineering
Please note applications is ONLY accepted http://scholastica.ng. Hard copies of any document submitted will not be processed. All interested students are advised to click on “How it Works” tab to proceed..
In line with our e-scholarship administration system, selected students will be invited for computer-administered qualifying tests in selected examination centers nationwide. Short-listed candidates for the qualifying test will be invited by email and SMS text messages. All applicants are therefore advised to ensure that GSM telephone numbers and personal email addresses are properly entered into the e-forms on the web site.
Qualification Process: Interested applicants should visit http://scholastica.ng/schemes/cnlawards#tab3.
Deadline: Closing date for receipt of e-applications is strictly February 21, 2014.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
This application is for only Fresh Applicants, current beneficiaries from previous NNPC/ CHEVRON JV Schemes should kindly visit www.scholastica.ng
January 31, 2014 | Editor
Launched in January 2011, the scholarship program is SevenUp Botling Company’s way of contributing towards building a greener future for Nigeria. Each year, a deserving Nigerian youth, resident within the country, will be selected and given the privilege of the best quality education at the Harvard Business School for the MBA Class of 2015.
The scholarship covers tuition, housing, a ticket to the United States to begin the MBA program and a ticket back from the United States at the end of the MBA program.
The application deadlines are:
|Application submitted online
by 12 noon Boston time
|Notification of the
MBA Admissions Board’s decision
||Monday, September 24, 2012
||Wednesday, December 12, 2012
||Monday, January 7, 2013
||Wednesday, March 27, 2013
||Monday, April 8, 2013
||Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Please note that each “round” represents a distinct period in which you may apply, not a succession of steps for your application. You may apply in one round only, one time in an application year.
Given past experience, we anticipate that many candidates will submit their online application materials very close to 12 noon on submission deadline dates. To avoid heavy server traffic and potential delays, we encourage candidates to submit application materials as early as possible.
Applications received after 12 noon on September 24, 2012 will be considered in Round 2. Applications received after 12 noon on January 7, 2013 will be considered in Round 3. Applications received after 12 noon on April 8, 2013 will not be considered.
When Should I Apply?
To avoid overwhelming server traffic generated by the high volume of applications we receive, candidates are encouraged to submit their application as early as possible prior to the deadline of each round. We encourage applicants to apply in the first or second round, as space in the class may be limited by the third round. In addition, applying in the earlier rounds will give candidates more time to address the following:
International candidates needing visas will find that applying in Round 3 makes the timing of their visa application stressful.
International candidates admitted in Rounds 1 and 2 find that it’s helpful to have the additional time to work on English proficiency.
Some candidates may be required to complete preliminary course work prior to their enrollment.
Many deadlines for outside (non-Harvard Business School) fellowships are in early spring. Only students who have been accepted are eligible for these fellowships.
Financial aid is available regardless of when students are admitted. However, since admitted students may apply for financial aid only after they are admitted Round 3 admits have less time to prepare their application.
Harvard Business School residence halls and Harvard University-affiliated apartments are assigned by lottery. Deadlines for both of these housing options precede Round 3 notification, and you must be admitted to HBS before you can enter these lotteries.
Once you gain admission from HBS, submit a copy of your electronic admission letter to us. All eligible applicants (Nigerian citizens resident in Nigeria who have gained admission to HBS) will be invited for multiple rounds of interviews with SevenUp Bottling Company Executives to determine their fit with SBC’s vision for the scholarship.
One scholarship will be awarded annually.
It is important to note that the Harvard Business School MBA application process is separate. Seven-Up only
assesses candidates after they have successfully navigated the entire HBS MBA application process on their own.
November 26, 2013 | Editor
Google Anita Borg Scholarship recipients will each receive a € 7,000 (or equivalent) award for the 2014-2015 academic year. A group of female undergraduate and graduate students will be chosen from the applicant pool, and scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of each candidate’s academic background, passion for increasing the involvement of women in computer science, and demonstrated leadership. All scholarship recipients will be invited to attend an annual Google networking retreat in 2014.
Who can apply?
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be a female student currently enrolled at a university for the 2013-2014 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa for the 2014-2015 academic year
- Be studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Maintain a strong academic record
The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship is a global program. If you are a student who will not be enrolled at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa for the 2014-2015 academic year, please visit the Anita Borg Scholarships Homepage to learn more about our Anita Borg Scholarships around the world.
Please complete the online application which includes:
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institution for the 2014-2015 school year)
- Current resume/CV (up to 2 pages)
- Academic transcripts from your current institution (and prior institution if currently in graduate school)
- A reference letter from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to essay questions
November 25, 2013 | Editor
The Acting Director-General, National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA), Dr. Ashiru Sani Daura, has stated that the award of scholarship to 240 young Nigerian graduates to further their studies in Information Technology (IT) related fields at both the Masters and Doctorate levels, was to help transform the country into a knowledge based economy. The DG made the disclosure in Abuja at a send forth ceremony for 80 of its 2013 batch who will be departing for their various schools abroad. According to him, the sponsorship, which amounted to about N1.2 billion in the last three years, was also aimed at boosting human capacity in the area of IT.
Daura said the money expended on the scholars was raised from the National IT Development Fund, which is a 1 per cent tax from all IT related companies and also support from some finance companies. “Every year we budget around N300 to N400 million for all the scholars and these have been on going in the last three years. If you have 80 scholars a maximum of N400 million per session and this has been going on for the last three years,” he said.
He said an important component of transformation is education, as according to him, there cannot be transformation without the people who are the agents of transformation. For any transformation, he added that IT is paramount for success.
According to him, the vision of NITDA was to transform the country into an IT enabled economy, adding that no nation can develop its economy without human capacity development. He said: “So that is why we are sponsoring these young bright Nigerians so that they can acquire the necessary skills and education to come and develop the IT sector develop capacity towards the actualization of the Vision 2020 agenda of government.”
Daura admitted that most of the scholars who benefitted in the first batch have returned. “For those who returned we are monitoring them but some of them are yet to be employed, some are in the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), some have fund jobs in other places, we are in the process of trying to monitor what they are doing and the exact impact to the economy. “In the next few weeks we shall established NITDA college of scholars, we shall establish an online and physical forum where these scholars will be interacting with themselves and with that we shall be challenging them with the various problems that should solve from the knowledge they acquire and some other thing that will be for the benefit of our country.
On how the students are selected, he said: “We normally advertise on national dailies, the applicants would apply online, thereafter they would sit for an aptitude test and two best with the highest scores are selected from each state irrespective of who they are. The prerequisite is that they would have studied IT related courses and would be pursuing IT programmes at Masters and Ph.D. levels. He congratulated the scholars on the awards adding, “Whatever you get is what you deserve, I congratulate you for getting this award. You were selected out of more than 4000 applicants who applied for this scholarship. You got the scholarship not because you know anybody. For the last three years of this award it is done purely on merit.
“I therefore urge you to imbibe this culture of hard work, selfless and diligence throughout your study abroad and thereafter. I will also commend NITDA staff for their transparency in the process.
One of the important foundations for any transformation anywhere is the knowledge in education, if you educate the people then you can easily transform the society and use them as agent of transformation. If the people are not adequately educated you cannot have adequate capacity, any transformation now has to have IT as its backbone. IT is really important and essential for any transformation so if you train in IT the transformation agenda of government will be easier.
The NITDA Boss said he would work towards leaving a workforce that is will motivated, agile dynamic that can take NITDA to it achieving its mandate which is to regulate and develop IT in Nigeria so that Nigeria joins the nations that is knowledge economy nations by that so we can achieve the Vision 2020 agenda.
Source: ThisDay Live
October 29, 2013 | Editor
British American Tobacco Nigeria (BATN), in conjunction with British American Tobacco Iseyin Agronomy (BATIA) invites applications from qualified Nigerian undergraduates, for the 2013/2014 Scholarship Scheme.
The Scholarship Scheme is one of our Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives to promote skilled manpower development in Nigeria’s Agricultural sector.
In 2005, the scope of the Scholarship Scheme was expanded to include eligible students from across the country. This expansion was based on stakeholder expectations raised at a stakeholder dialogue session. Ten eligible students are awarded scholarships every year for the duration of their study, with five slots reserved for eligible children of BAT registered tobacco farmers.
In the event that the farmers’ children do not meet the eligibility requirements, those five slots are opened up to candidates from tobacco leaf growing communities (not farmers’ children). In the event that they also do not meet the eligibility requirements, the five slots are opened up to candidates from other parts of Oyo State.
The Scheme is open to:
- Qualified candidates who are children of BAT registered tobacco farmers
- Other qualified candidates from across Nigeria
Students who are currently on similar scholarship awards need not apply. Dependants of employees of BAT Nigeria, BATIA and the BAT Nigeria Foundation are not eligible for this scholarship.
Important points to note:
- All applicants are required to provide active contact addresses, phone numbers and email addresses which must be traceable and valid for the next 9 months.
- Applicants who miss test invitations due to non-functional phone numbers or email addresses will not be given additional consideration.
- Hardcopy and multiple applications will result in instant disqualification
- Successful applicants will be listed on this website
- Students who are currently on similar Scholarship Schemes need not apply.
- All applicants must be Nigerian citizens aged 18 years or above
- For children of BAT registered tobacco farmers – admission to study or registered first year student studying any course in a Nigerian tertiary institution.
- For other applicants across Nigeria – admission to study or registered first year student studying Agriculture / Agriculture-related course in a Nigerian tertiary institution
- Holders of the SSCE or its equivalent with at least six subjects passed in one sitting.
- Closing Date
The closing date for the acceptance of applications is Monday 28th October 2013. Applications sent after the closing date will not be considered.
To apply go to: www.batnscholarship.com
Source: British American Tobacco website
October 23, 2013 | Editor
2013 edition of the National Essay Competition is out. Winners will get educational grants to study in any African University of their choice.
The Essay Competition is a follow up on of the Read Africa initiative of the Foundation, which involves giving out literature books to secondary school students to help rekindle the reading culture amongst the youths in Africa. The Programme also involves mentoring and reading sessions with the students.
Topic: “How reading has impacted my knowledge”
Organizer: The UBA Foundation
The first, second and third prize winners will receive N1,000,000.00, N750,000.00 and N500,000.00 in educational grants respectively.
Deadline: 1 November, 2013
- Applicants must attach photocopies of their original birth certificates or photocopies of International passport data page
- Applicants must be Senior Secondary School students in Nigerian Secondary Schools
- Applicants should send in handwritten essay entries of not more than 750 words on the competition topic
- Applicants must submit their complete contact information (school name & address, residential address, phone number and email address)
- When the entries close, four renowned Nigerian Professors will review the entries and select an initial shortlist of 12 for further assessment until the overall 3 best candidates emerge.
- The students would be judged on content, organization and mechanical accuracy.
- The educational grant is only applicable to applicants who intend to study in an African university.
- The decision of the judges is final.
- Entries should be sent to:
United Bank for Africa Plc UBA House (3rd Floor)
57 Marina, Lagos, Nigeria
Got a question? Shoot an email to email@example.com
Naija Writer Coach
October 10, 2013 | Editor
The global software giant, Microsoft Corp. in recognition of the International Youth Day, has disclosed that no fewer than 1,000 talented young minds from Africa are expected to benefit from 4Afrika Scholarship program in the first phase of the pilot program beginning November this year.
Similarly, in the* *coming year, Microsoft also announced that it would provide 4Afrika Scholarships to 1,000 youth to pursue associate degrees in computer science and business administration with the first participating higher education institution, University of the People, an online university dedicated to the democratization of higher education which is affiliated with the United Nations, the Clinton Global Initiative, NYU and Yale Law School ISP.
*For talented African students:*
The program introduced today (Monday) by the software giant is part of its 4Afrika Initiative, through which it would provide mentorship, leadership and technical training, certification, university-level education and employment opportunities for promising and talented African students.
Although the number of intake will increase subsequently, the first set of 4Afrika Scholarship students, the software maker said will begin classes November this year.
Applications for 4Afrika Scholarships to University of the People, according to him can be submitted on the following site: www.uopeople.org/4afrika, while the 4Afrika Scholarship program can also be downloaded http://www.youth4afrika.com.
Source: Vanguard Newspaper
August 13, 2013 | Editor
The annual Gani Fawehinmi Scholarship for indigent students in Nigerian tertiary institutions is now open for applications. The award is for 20 indigent students, each of whom will receive One hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000) for their education.
Eligibility Criteria For 2013 Gani Fawehinmi Scholarships
- Applicant must be poor and indigent.
- Applicant must be registered students of Tertiary institutions in Nigeria i.e Universities, Polytechnics and College of Education
- Applicants must have good academic performances.
How to Apply for Gani Fawehinmi Scholarships
Each applicant shall submit an application letter, not more than two pages. The letter must include the name of the candidate, course of study, year of study, state of origin, and why the candidate believes that he/she should be given the scholarship award. The application letter must be accompanied by:
- A photocopy of the candidate’s current Identity card.
- A letter from the candidate’s current Head of Department, including correct information of the candidate’s CGPA for the last academic semester.
- A letter from the Registrar certifying that the candidate is a student of such institution.
- A copy of the candidates registration form for the current semester.
More information on the Gani Fawehinmi Scholarships application for 2013:
Gani Fawehinmi Annual Scholarship Awards for 2013 has Two Million Naira for 20 students for grabs. For full details on requirements and application process, See the DAILY TRUST of 15 July, 2013. Page 23.
Scholarship Application Closing Date:
Application closes on 25th August, 2013.
Source: Nigerian University Scholarship Website
July 29, 2013 | Editor
The management of Nigeria LNG Limited wishes to invite interested FIRST YEAR undergraduates in Nigerian universities to apply for the 2013/2014 NLNG Undergraduate Scholarship Award.
The purpose of Nigeria LNG Scholarship Award scheme is to promote academic excellence amongst undergraduates in tertiary institutions in rivers state and the rest of the country.
Interested students are advised to go to: https://sws.nlng.com/undgrad/ and complete the application form
All applications should include the following attachments
- scanned passport sized photographs
- scanned copy of JAMB and university admission letters
- scanned copy of WAEC/NECO/GCE/O’Levels or A levels result
- scanned copy of school identity card
- scanned copy of letter of identification from local government of origin
Please note that only qualified applicants shall be short listed for the selection tests.
The following candidates need not apply:
- beneficiaries of other scholarship schemes
- second to final year students
- part time students
ENTRY CLOSES ON: Wednesday 3rd July 2013
June 18, 2013 | Editor
BlackBerry is encouraging women in Nigeria to apply for the new BlackBerry Scholars Programme, an initiative designed to inspire women globally to enter and develop careers in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
The BlackBerry Scholars Program is a global four-year scholarship program for outstanding women entering their first year of undergraduate study at an accredited college or university. The Program is designed to help increase the number of women studying and influencing the future of mobile computing, including Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, and particularly those with an interest and/or aptitude in the mobile computing space.
All applicants must be female and entering their first year in a field of study involving Science, Technology, Engineering or Math at an accredited four-year college or university, and display an interest and/or aptitude in the mobile computing space.
Women who will be entering their first year of study in the 2013-2014 academic year and are interested in this scholarship may apply for the Program by 5pm EST on the June 26th, 2013 application deadline.
Applicants will be evaluated and selected based on the following criteria, to be weighted equally in the selection determination:
- Secondary school (high school) academic record
- Quality of answers to written essay questions
- Extracurricular, community, and other leadership activities
- Demonstrated financial need
June 14, 2013 | Editor
Award recipients will be notified on or before July 31, 2013. Due to the anticipated volume of submissions, BlackBerry cannot provide individual feedback on applications that do not receive Scholarship awards.
Detials: Visit the Scholarship Application Website
Season two of Andrews Challenge, Nigeria First Real time online academic competition has been scheduled for May 18- June 17, this year.
All interested students are to register for the program on the website www.andrewschallenge.net
Once a student registered on the website, a link will be sent to his or her e-mail address which he or she must click to be activated. After which he can visit the website to login with his/her username and password
Andrews Challenge according to the Executive Director of the True Measures Limited, TML, Anuoluwapo Aojobi, organizers of the programme is intended to revamp and escalate the healthy academic rivalry that once existed among students.
He said the programme offers Fame and financial gains to deserving students who emerge as scholars at the end of the online competition.
He added that Andrews Challenge was set up to motivate students to excel in their academics.
At a time when parents are paying so much for their children’s education, it is quite important to compliment the efforts of the parents and teachers by ensuring that students give more attention to their academics.
“Andrews Challenge is a healthy academic online competition that helps students to be smarter than their peers who do not take part in the online competition. They also tend to have better understanding of the topics taught at school. Ultimately, Andrews Challenge improves the academic performance of the smart students in their various schools. You can be sure that such students will perform excellently in SSCE, UME, Post UME, IGSCE, diploma exams and other exams done at their level”
“Though the online competition is more of an open test, scholarships go to students with the highest scores and who completed the premium test at the shortest possible time. Each test contains 10 questions which include Mathematics, English, Science, commercial, arts and general knowledge questions.
“The mission is to award scholarship prices to deserving senior secondary and tertiary students. The Vision is to stimulate to stimulate the reading culture, better educational performances and healthy academic rivalry across the nation.
“The online competition is organized for 100 – 300 level undergraduates, SS1 – SS3 students, external students (those waiting admission), diploma students, OND students and students in College of Education.
“During the duration of the online competition, students can participate anytime anywhere. So either at school, home or cyber cafe, students can conveniently register on the program website www.andrewschallenge.net to participate
Season one of the online competition took place from November 24 – December 10, 2012
Six outstanding students emerged as winners and were rewarded with scholarship prices
In the secondary category, the top winner was Victoria Harrison, an SS3 Art Student of St Gloria College, G.R.A. Ikeja while the top winner of the tertiary category was Moses Oloriade, a 300 level student of Mechanical Engineering
The top winners received N150, 000 each
Source: The Nation
May 21, 2013 | Editor
Undergraduates of Ogun State origin who applied for the Federal Government Scholarship tenable in tertiary institutions in the country are to appear for interview at the Staff Development Centre, Oke-Ilewo, Abeokuta between Monday 8th April and Thursday 11th April 2013.
Commissioner for Education, Science and Technology, Barrister Segun Odubela who made this known today in a statement indicated that the exercise begins 8 a.m. daily.
The statement indicated that applicants who are university undergraduates would be interviewed on Monday, 8th and Tuesday, 9th while their counterparts from Polytechnics and Monotechnics are to be interviewed on Wednesday, 10th April.
It added that applicants from Colleges of Education would be interviewed on Thursday, 11th April 2013.
Odubela enjoined the applicants to go to venue of the interview promptly with their writing materials on the day specified for their category, warning that late arrivals would not be entertained.
Source: Ogun State Government website
April 6, 2013 | Editor
Odu’a Investment Company Limited, is again offering scholarships to indigent but brilliant students under our Odu’a Scholarship Award Scheme “Nurturing the Leaders of Tomorrow”.
Odu’a Investment Company Limited was incorporated as a Holding Company in July 1976, to take over the business interests of the former Western State of Nigeria now comprising Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti States of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. In the last two years, the company has offered N47m lifeline to about 400 indigent but brilliant students of owner-states studying in the tertiary institutions across the country. N20 million was shared among the five Odu’a states at N4 million per state in 2008 while in 2009, N27million was offered by the company to the shareholders states. The amount covered school fees and other bills.
Each beneficiary received N100,000 per session, which would be sustained till they graduate, provided they maintain a second class upper division grade throughout the period of their study.
To enjoy the programme, students must maintain high moral standards (omoluabi) that was regarded as a great virtue among the Yoruba people. Odu’a was involved in this project because of its belief in the development of human capital, which is the hallmark of nations aspiring for greatness.
Criteria for Application
- Applicants must be an indigene of any of the following Odu’a states: Oyo, Ogun, Ondo, Osun and Ekiti.
- Applicants must be in their second year or above and must have a good record of conduct (OMOLUABI) in the University. Candidate found to be involved in any misconduct, cultism or misdemeanor will have his/her application cancelled.
- Applicants must have a minimum CGPA of second class upper division.
- Applicants must currently be an undergraduate student in a Nigerian Federal or State University and must be studying any of the following courses:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Technology or Engineering Sciences
- Veterinary Medicine
- Environmental Sciences
How to Apply
Fill the Odu’a Investment 2013 Scholarship Form
Note: Only successful candidates would be notified through their email addresses and Phone Numbers for an aptitude/selection test.
Deadline: 8th April 2013
April 3, 2013 | Editor
The A.G. Leventis Foundation’s Educational Grants Scheme is an annual programme of grants intended for postgraduate students and doctoral candidates. Post-doctoral research is not included.
Applications by undergraduates who have not yet obtained their first University degree will not be considered.
Grants are offered by the A.G. Leventis Foundation on an annual basis and varies according to the country of study. It aims to cover only part of the expenses and it will not be sufficient to cover the total cost. The grants are usually paid in two remittances to the beneficiary’s bank account, the first half in November and the second half in February.
The A.G. Leventis Foundation offers educational grants for a maximum period of 3 academic years cumulatively.
- New Applications: 31st of May 2013.
- Renewal: 30th of April 2013.
How to Apply:
Candidates who wish to apply for an educational grant should fill in the electronic form and submit it with the required supporting documents at AG Leventis Online Application System.
April 1, 2013 | Editor
The Nigerian Women Association of Georgia, Inc. U.S.A offers annual scholarship awards to 36 female students in Nigerian universities in the amount of Forty Thousand Naira (N40,000 as at 2009) – one winner from each state. The Nigerian Women Association of Georgia (NWAG) plans to award 37 one-time scholarships of fifty thousand Naira each to female students in Nigerian university for each states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
NWAG, a non-profit organization based in Atlanta Georgia, was founded in April 2000 by the then Consul General’s wife, Mrs. Dayo Keshi with a mission to empower women, youth and children in their adopted community in the United States and in their home country, Nigeria.
As at 2012, NWAG has successfully awarded a one-time, one year scholarship to 338 female students in Nigeria and 34 students in the USA.
The mission of NWAG is to serve our local community as well as our country Nigeria, through empowerment, cultural enrichment, and education of women, youth and children, thereby fostering togetherness and excellence in our collective pursuits.
The current NWAG President, Mrs. Abby F. Ebodaghe, who looks forward to the 11th Annual NWAG Scholarship Awards challenges female undergraduates from unrepresented or minimally represented states and universities to participate this year and change that picture. She is calling on families to encourage their daughters to take advantage of this opportunity.
- An applicant must be a Nigerian female, undergraduate student in a Nigerian University. All applications must include the following:
- Proof of State of Origin – Letter of Origination from the university or a letter from your local government office.
- Two Letters of Recommendation from any two of the following: Church Pastor/Mosque Imam, Village Head, Local Government Chairperson or one of your Lecturers.
- One Letter of Recommendation from either the Dean of your Faculty/School or your Head of Department.
- Photocopy of your current university student identification card
- A current photograph of yourself
- An explanation of why you need and should receive the scholarship (not more than one-half typed double spaced page).
- A type-written, double –spaced, two-page essay on: “How could we improve the health system in Nigeria especially for women, youth and children?”
- All application entries must be typewritten and double-spaced.
- Applications may not be faxed or hand-delivered.
- Incomplete applications or applications that show evidence of plagiarism will be disqualified and rejected.
- ALL ELECTRONIC SUBMISSIONS MUST BE IN PDF OR WORD FORMAT.
All applications should be mailed to:
Nigerian Women Association of Georgia, INC. USA
P. O. Box 14532, Atlanta, Georgia 30324
electronically via email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Deadline: All applications must be POST-MARKED or EMAILED by MAY 30, 2013.
Download Application Form
Source: Nigerian Women Association of Georgia (NWAG) Website
March 27, 2013 | Editor
Total E & P Nigeria has announced her 2012/2013 National Merit Scholarship Awards for undergraduates. The Tertiary Institutions Scholarship Awards Scheme is for the 2012/2013 academic session.
The company hereby invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for its 2012/2013 National Merit Scholarship Awards for undergraduate students currently in their 1st and 2nd year of studies in recognized Nigeria Universities.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Business Administration
- Banking & Finance
- Computer Sciences
- Environmental Sciences
- Pure and Applied Sciences
- Land & Quantity Surveying
- Medical Sciences
The NNPC/TEPNG National Merit Scholarship Award is open to duly admitted, recognized full time Nigerian students, pursuing undergraduate programmes in recognized universities, who are in their first or second year of studies and who are NOT beneficiaries of any other scholarships. In addition to the above conditions, applicants must show:
- Proof of SSCE or equivalent certificate,
- Proof of UME scores and
- Admission to the course of study
- Application forms must be completed on-line using the links: http://www.scholarships.totalsdd.com
Closing Date: 31st of March 2013
Selection tests will hold on a later date at designated centres nationwide.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates would be contacted for the tests.
March 10, 2013 | Editor
To celebrate the opening of their new business incubation facility, Edinburgh Napier University is offering two 50% tuition fee scholarships to the winners of their Nigerian Young Entrepreneur Competition.
The offer is open to prospective postgraduate students who either have an existing business or have a good business idea that they would like to develop further whilst they study.
A brief business proposal should be completed considering the criteria below. These will be judged by a panel of experts from the relevant subject areas at Edinburgh Napier and the two best ideas will win access to office facilities, a new business advisor and mentor – as well as a 50% reduction in their overall tuition fee.
The business proposal should be on no more than 4 sides of A4 paper. As a guideline, you may want to consider incorporating the following points:
- Executive Summary
- Target Market
- Strategy and Objectives
- Overview of the product or service proposed
- Summary of the market and competitors
- Financial Forecasts
- Some personal information – your background, education, training
Deadline: 31 May 2013
Notification of successful candidates: Not later than 30 June 2013.
Please don’t forget to include contact details, business name and Edinburgh Napier applicant number. Competition entries should be submitted by email.
For more information, visit this link
Source: Edinburgh Napier University Website
February 27, 2013 | Editor